Video: Becoming a Reflective practitioner: The Cycle of reflection (click here)
It is a comical look at the process, but provides a simple understanding of the reflective process.
I made some basic notes...
What is Reflection:
Cyclic process = Think-Question-Reflect-Act
Thinking: Meta-cognitive - thinking about thinking
- Monitor your thinking
- Probe/inspect/study/examine------confusing, conflicting, disturbing situations--------try to make comprehensible---------identify possible solutions.
Questions: Pertinent or irrelevant, Broad (What if...?/I wonder why?), Detailed (What should I have done? What can I do next time? Why did I react in that way? What have I learned from this?)
Reflection: Clarify what you are thinking about.
i. Reflection on action (ROA) - Thinking afterward
ii. Reflection in action (RIA) - Thinking during
This seems to be the kind of thinking on your feet type of action....
Reflection includes: Past / Present / Future
- Look at Student learning
- Search meaning of class events
- Consider your strengths and weaknesses
- Identify ways to improve
- Formulate a plan of action
- on the course.
- your strengths and weaknesses.
- the viewpoints of others.